Monday, December 22, 2014

A Word About 'Are You All Set?'

Since this blog covers books (yes, mine), and since books are comprised of words and language, I can't help complaining about the use of a certain phrase, i.e. 'Are you all set?' Over the years, the meaning of this has deteriorated drastically, much like the retail and service sectors where it is used so often. An example? Sure.

A few days ago I paid a visit to the local office supply store, one of many of a well-known national chain. I took my purchase and stood at the checkout while the polite young cashier responded to a question from a customer regarding an item she could not find. The cashier spoke into the cord on her neck, describing to her manager exactly what the customer was looking for and asking him to come forward.

So, here was the scene. A young cashier, the customer and me. That's all. The manager arrives, sees the customer and the first thing out of his mouth to the customer is, "Are you all set?" I've heard it a million times before and still amazed.  Am I wrong to think that the more appropriate approach would have been, "How can I help you, m'am?" or something similar? Did he really think that anything could be 'all set' in the 20 or 30 seconds that had elapsed between the time he was called by the cashier and the time he arrived to speak to the customer?

No, hell no, she wasn't all set. She wanted her question answered and it hadn't been. 'All set' has come to mean a really rude and sloppy way to ask if someone needs your assistance. Civility and courtesy have taken a back seat. Only my opinion.

Don't get me started on another idiom...i.e. 'No problem'. I'll leave that for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment